Judges 6:24 - Psalm 43:4 --- Richter 6,24 - Psalm 43,4

- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. - Romans 15:13

- Der Gott der Hoffnung aber erfülle euch mit aller Freude und allem Frieden im Glauben, damit ihr überreich seiet in der Hoffnung durch die Kraft des Heiligen Geistes! - Römer 15,13

Sunday, October 17, 2010

I see God is working...

I have started to realize how spending my time reading books doesn’t seem appealing anymore... I look at my bookshelves, look at all the spines, and think to myself, no, I don’t feel like reading, it doesn’t seem interesting. Really, I’m not tempted! Or if I am, then it’s just for a very, very short moment – I easily dismiss the thought as soon as it enters my mind...


And instead, what I now feel so drawn to is... the Bible! The Word of my God! I see my Luther version of the Bible sitting on my desk or on my bed or beside my bed, and I catch myself thinking, my Bible! Let’s read it! And I sit down and start reading (currently it’s usually Isaiah in the morning and Matthew at night, and sometimes during the day as well). And what I read starts speaking to me... Even though many things I don’t understand and I feel my lack in seeing the big picture, I can’t help but read! And I read, and read, and read... And suddenly I realize I have read several chapters in no time! Although I can’t tell you what exactly I’ve learned and how it all happened, it’s just the realization of this change in me that seems so astounding...! The Lord has really overthrown this idol (books and reading) in my life! He is the Migthy One!!!
And He says,
„I AM GOD, AND THERE IS NONE ELSE; I AM GOD, AND THERE IS NONE LIKE ME.“ Isaiah 46:9
...This is exactly what I have been praying for. I has been my request for quite a long time, though I haven’t started praying resolutely and persistently until a couple of months ago. I started asking the Lord to get me „hooked“ on reading His Word, to make me want more, and more, and more of it, to sow a passion and a hunger for His own Word in my heart, to make this verse a reality in my life:
„As newborn babes, DESIRE THE PURE MILK OF THE WORD, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.“ 1 Peter 2:2-3
And now, I am starting to see it happen! ...It’s so amazing. The only thing I do is sit down and start reading (and even that is what He’s doing), and He takes care of the rest. He wants my obedience, – to actually read it – and He faithfully answers my prayer and fulfills my desire...!
...I know I want more of that!!! ☺

- - - - - - - - - - -



Another area I’ve realized He’s working on in my life, is the one of my daily decisions, no matter how small. I have been pondering these things a lot lately.
...The fact that what you spend your time doing is what is going to shape you.
...And that what you spend your time doing is, – as simple as it may sound – the way you will be living your life.
„How we live our days is how we live our lives.“ Francis Chan
...This is a big thing in my life. My whole day, my every minute, is to be lived according to His will. The smallest decision, the shortest thought, the most insignificant action.
...To first stop and remember my Lord, and to again and again decide against my own preferences...
„Saying Yes to happiness often means saying No to yourself.“
This quote by Elisabeth Elliot hangs on the wall in my room and it often reminds me of what my Lord is teaching me. ...To say no to my self and to choose fulfillment and joy instead. ☺

4 comments:

Sari said...

You inspire me!

I can't believe it has been so long since I have blogged, but I am going to change that. I want to discuss the things of the Lord with people who desperately need Him, like I do. As iron sharpens iron..

One of my frustrations has been how easily distracted I can get.. I am going to blog about it. Maybe even here in a little while. Talk to me my friend and sister! Do you ever just feel distracted?

Miss talking with you!

Salsome said...

So wonderful to hear from you, Sari!! :)

I just wrote about some of the distractions I sometimes struggle with (thoughts that keep wandering off to worthless and unreal things...).
I know what you're talking about...! Losing focus and sight of what is important (because it's eternal)...

What has been a huge help in the last couple of weeks for me was reading Annie Wesche's article in the current Set Apart Girl Magazine (Purpose of Place). I needed her inspiration and have started putting her ideas into practice. And really, it has helped me so much to stay focused and purposeful. I keep my room in order, put unimportant things away during times I won't work on them anyway (for example my quiet time), getting things reading and cleaned up before I go to bed etc. I'm still developing those habits, but so far it has helped me a lot. :)

I would love to hear more about it from you!
What is the Lord currently teaching you? What are you learning, how are you growing??

Looking forward to hearing from you again! :)
S.

Sari said...

Salome!

I can't believe it was December 1st when I commented on this post...and look it is now almost January 1st and I still haven't blogged. But things have finally calmed a little so I am going to take the time today to blog.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say!

PS-My big project this break is to get my room completely cleaned and organized. Annie Wesche's article really inspired me as well! I used to use every break I had to clean and get organized but this past semester, my life (and stuff) got very chaotic!

Sari :)

Salsome said...

The Set Apart Magazine is such a blessing to me. It is always inspiring and pointing to the Lord. It seems like it's such a rare treasure to have a resource like that in this (so often) dirty and sin-filled world (wide web).

...In addition, friends like you are exactly the inspiration I also need!! :)

Love,
Salome